Wednesday, September 12, 2018

:: 2.5 ::


Ryan has overall really settled into the past three months pretty well, but he's getting way more bossy, opinionated, and naughty. Now that he knows so many words and can get across his point and what he wants, he's a lot more sassy, and when he has a tantrum, it's an all out one. Still, I think he's probably the easiest of my kids as far as this stage. My older boys were ridiculously more difficult: Cashel was a biter and Kendrick a pincher, and well...Ryan, although he occasionally will slap you, doesn't do it to the point where he is labeled as a "slapper"...at least for now. He's overall just the happiest little guy, and he makes me smile and laugh and feel loved every day.
Physical Development
Ryan is still easily in 3T clothes comfortably, and the waists on those pants are getting a little less loose than they were 3 months ago. He took it upon himself to start working on potty training (oy!), but we're not going to go hard core until the big kids are back in school to make it a little easier at daycare (and home!)


Teething
This entire quarter has been pretty quiet on the teething front, aside from a few very short spurts of whiny behavior or clinginess. Still no new teeth or bulging gums or anything. Ryan holds the record thus far for the longest teething Johnson kiddo.

Sleep Habits
Ryan is still napping pretty well around 1:30/2pm every day, but the length is variable.

At nighttime, Ryan is such an excellent sleeper now, and even if he's not sleeping, he's just playing quietly in his room. It's SUCH a welcome change from a few months ago, and he's so much happier of a kid now. I love how well he is adapting with quiet independent play, as it used to be that if he was awake, he'd want to be entertained.

Speech Development
Ryan is learning tons of new words all the time, and most of the time, he repeats what he hears, or at least close to it, to the point where if you are even thinking remotely in the same ballpark as to what he's saying, you're going to be able to figure it out most likely. It's great!

Eating
Ryan has been on a milk binge for a while now, and while he's not typically super irritable, I think it's teeth. He just pushes his food around on his plate most of the time, and might take a bite or two, but usually it's just "cuppy, milk, Mommy".

He is definitely really fond of "snacks" and will eat most of whatever snack it might be. He is oddly not very overly fond of sweets. If you give him a cookie, there's a good chance that the cookie will sit there with a tiny bite out of it and Cashel or Kendrick will find it and finish it for him. His favorite meal is "cheese and cocks", which means macaroni and cheese and hot dogs. I really hope he never learns to say it right, because it's so adorable when he says it lol

He hasn't been sitting in a high chair OR booster seat both at home and restaurants for the past 2 months for sure, but it has been a while longer. Kinsley has claimed the high chair, and that works for us. He's messy as all get out, but he was just as messy in the high chair too, so we deal.
Toddler Behaviors and Discipline
Ryan has certainly amped up his tantrums, and the intensity of them leaves bystanders very concerned for his wellfare, I'm sure: Especially when I am extremely nonchallant about them. The thing is, he sounds like he is in horrendous pain or something, but I know there is a slight difference between pain and anger, and about 99.9999% of the time, he's just angry. He no longer gracefully lowers himself onto the floor to kick and scream, but rather throws himself on the ground, and the vast majority of the time, it's because he isn't getting something he wants - ESPECIALLY the ride on tractor of Kendrick's. (The kid is going to be an excellent driver by the time he's 16, right?)

I've been working with ALL the kids on following the 1-2-3 Magic program, and for the most part, it's working alright. For the big boys, it works really well, actually, and I can usually either halt the behavior or they will listen to me to "take 5" almost immediately. If we are in public, they will just ask me where they have to go for their "take 5" time. However, with Ryan, he just likes to count along with me while being deviant and watching me like a hawk, and when he ends up having to take 5, he throws the motherload of all tantrums and refuses to listen when I tell him that he has to be CALM before his 5 minutes starts, so it goes on FOREVER.

I HAVE, however, been trying extremely hard to focus on making sure his needs are met on time, however, to keep the unnecessary tantrums at bay. If he's tired or hungry, I give him a little more slack, especially if I'm an hour late getting him his lunch or supper, or he hasn't had a nap and it's 3pm or something. He's generally a really sweet kid, but he's just a typical tantrummy toddler at this point. I'm very grateful that his behaviors don't seem worse than the typical toddler in light of the hard times his first couple years of life.

Likes
  • He is OBSESSED with big brother Kendrick's ride-on tractor
  • Sucking on those two fingers...ALWAYS. I realized I haven't taken a picture of him doing it lately, though.
  • His Siblings! he adores these guys :)
  • Elmo's Potty Time. I think I'd better gear myself up for lots of poo in the near future. ::sigh::
  • Parades!
  • Trains of all shapes and sizes! His mind is going to be BLOWN in a month when we go on the North Shore Scenic Railroad's Pumpkin Train on our trip to Duluth.
  • "Coloring" with big brothers. It usually consists of him doing this, followed by biting the tips off all the crayons.
  • Swinging
  • Brown Bear Brown Bear. Argh. I just really hate it when my kids cling to this one. I grow weary of reading it every.single.night. The repetitiveness makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
  • Riding his dang 3-wheeler in the road. I'm CONSTANTLY pulling him back onto the sidewalk. I don't get why that is so hard!
  • Being one of the "big kids".
  • Kinsley Jo...He loves her almost TOO much
  • "Do it, me, Mama!" This kid likes to take control, and don't you dare try to take his job!
  • Picking apples
Dislikes
  • Being told he can't do something.
  • Not having things go his way.
  • Not being able to physically do things or get places that he wants to do/go.
  • Not having his cuppy before bed.
  • Not having his cuppy before Jody's.
  • Not getting to "go owwwside" with the big kids.
  • Any pjs but his "Pawtrolls" or Santa ones.

Overall, Ryan is a very happy-go-lucky kid. He is really calming down now that Daddy is out of the house, but he is quick to ask to video chat him every night. I'm so glad that he still desires a relationship with his Daddy, even if he's not home with us. He's a good little kid, and adorable to boot! I can't wait to continue to watch him grow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment