Tuesday, April 12, 2016

1 Month

It doesn't seem possible that it has been a whole month since our sweet little boy has come to join us. We're still just working on calling him "Ryan" instead of "Baby" around our house even, as we spent so long not knowing who he would be.

Overall...
If Cashel was the baby who never slept and Kendrick was that baby who slept all the time, Ryan is the happy medium. He sleeps enough that I'm not complaining about it, but not so much that we forget we have a newborn in the house. That being said, he's the first of my babies who I've spent entire nights in the recliner with: At first because he just wanted to be held all night, and then during his third week as he caught a cold and was really congested and just slept best that way.

I feel like we haven't skipped a beat since Ryan was born, but part of that has been just being so busy. This past week was the first week that Ryan and I didn't have a calendar full of appointments and meetings, so it was nice to finally have some downtime.

We've watched a lot of HGTV in the nursery, which, of course, gives me all sorts of ideas as to what our next projects should be around the house ;)

This month I focused on healing first, then managed to get the nursery painted and put together, the furniture moved upstairs, and a few odds and ends projects done around the house. With city clean up in just a couple weeks, I'm also trying to put together our pile for the curb, which eats up lots of nap times.

How Baby is Doing

Ryan is now in size 1 diapers and 0-3 month clothes, although we won't be buying more size 1 diapers when we run out and will be switching to size 2. I've had a hard time emotionally this month watching Ryan grow so quickly physically. Usually I'd say "Oh man, he's getting so big so quickly!" and people would roll their eyes. But this kid has grown a ridiculous amount since birth, and at his THREE WEEK checkup was already at 12lbs 6oz, which means he gained 3lbs within two weeks. I'm already trying to figure out how soon we'll be able to get him sitting upright so I can stop carrying around that heavy carseat and not have to put him in the wrap to "wear" him, since it makes my back sore. He is nearly growing out of his 0-3 month clothes at this point, and I plan to get his 6 month clothes washed this week and determine if we need anything else.

He's just beginning to stay awake more during the days, and I'd say overall he's probably awake for a good 5 hours a day overall, just in short 30-45 minute chunks. He has his own little routine during the days that I haven't figured out just yet that we'll have to work with over time.

After his super peely skin, I was looking for baby acne and cradle cap, but it looks like he'll be sporting that for his two month recap, since it's just barely getting started this month.

I can tell he's going to start visiting with us soon, as his noises have changed a bit. He doesn't just cry when he misses me anymore, but usually makes some babbling type noises instead and a few grunts to let me know that nap time is over and he's ready for some company :)

Ryan likes to sleep either on Mommy's chest, on his side or on his tummy in the crib. He has such a strong neck and shoulders that I don't worry too much, but I don't like to put him on his tummy to sleep in his crib just yet. He actually does better in his crib than he does in his rock 'n play, but he does occasionally nap in the rock 'n play or swing. We haven't tried night time sleep in the crib just yet, as we still prefer to co-sleep in the upstairs guestroom for the time being.

We're getting between 2-4 hour stretches of sleep at night, which keeps me sane and Ryan in a good mood most of the time. We've had a couple nights where he has gone 5-6 hour stretches, but that hasn't been the norm. He doesn't go nuts over the swaddle sack, but he doesn't sleep bad in them either. We haven't made it a big point to swaddle him each night, but he tends to sleep alright like that, so we've just let it be.

How Mama is Doing

My heart just explodes, you guys :) Ugh - how is it that I only get another eight weeks with this little sweetheart before heading back to work? I have absolutely been loving maternity leave, and not only for the myriad snuggles and kisses and time spent with my little guy, but for the peace and quiet, and the chance to get so much accomplished around the house.

I literally will sit there and just stare at his adorable little face for what feels like minutes, but turns into hours. I love seeing him begin to wake up, and seeing his little eyes and how they stare up at me. I love the grins, whether they're sleepy, caused from gas or not, I don't care :) He smiles a ton during the day, and I love it! These big, content babies do a number on their Mama's heart, I tell ya!

I did a full 1 Month Postpartum Update on the baby blog for those curious as to how I'm doing on the more physical, etc. level, so I won't go into details here, but overall I'm feeling pretty good at this point! I felt significantly more prepared for the lifestyle changes a newborn brings this time around, so there haven't really been any surprises this time around, thankfully.

I have struggled a little more this time emotionally, knowing that this is our last baby, and realizing how quickly this "little" guy is going to grow up on me. We've had a lot of well-meaning comments about just having another baby then, but Mark and I both know that this is our last one. I'm always going to want a baby in my arms, but that doesn't mean I should have a dozen, nor do I think my body would hold out for even one more - especially when I apparently grow them to 10lbs! The physical effects of the three I've already got are enough, I'd say.

This coming month I'm looking forward to getting outside significantly more than we have this first month. It has just been too dang cold since I've been more able to get out and walk and what not. Starting today, it's supposed to be considerably warmer! I can't wait!! :)
How Daddy is Doing

By baby #3, Mark has finally gotten a lot better at the whole newborn/infant part of the equation. He doesn't see Ryan a ton during the day, since he's working during the days, and then usually entertaining the big boys outside for a good chunk of the night. However, the time he does get to spend just snuggling him, he has the whole thing down. He's good at knowing whether or not Ryan is hungry, tired, lonely or just bored, and if you'd gone back 4 years ago, I couldn't have said the same about Mark and Cashel at this stage.

That's not to say that he has changed Ryan's diaper much, because that's still one area he's a little more nervous about haha :)

They loves to nap together, and Mark likes to lay down on the bed propped up with pillows a bit and sort of stand Ryan up on his (Mark's) belly and make lots of silly noises and faces at him. It's pretty darn cute :) I love it when I'm getting ready for bed at night and listen to them "talking" in the living room together :)

He'll be heading into planting season here in the next week or two, so that will keep him busy in the evenings and a weekend or two, but planting goes significantly faster than harvest, so it won't be long before we'll all be off on our evening walks to the park and such soon.
How Big Brothers are Doing

It seriously has been a practically flawless transition with the two older brothers at home, which has caught me off guard. They have off and on been a little naughtier than they had been previously, but they haven't been aggressive at all with Ryan, nor have they been so drastically naughty that it stands out as it being as a result of bringing home a new baby.

Cashel absolutely adores his little brother, and no matter much he and Kendrick might be at each others' necks some days, when it comes to Ryan, it's like they flip a switch.

Cashel was on cloud 9 being able to finally give his brother the first bottle (even if it was only an ounce haha), and can't wait for more opportunities to do it again. He would probably change his diaper if we let him too lol He loves having responsibilities and feeling important, and feeding his brother was the one thing he had been asking about doing since the end of my pregnancy, so it was really sweet :)

Kendrick loves to put his cheek to Ryan's cheek, which is really sweet :) He absolutely adores baby Ryan. He wants to hold him a lot, loves to swing the baby swing when he's in it and is the first to run to his side the second he makes the slightest sound, screaming at him, "IT'S OKAY, BABY RYAN!!! IT'S OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He hates to think of his baby as being uncomfortable or upset in any way, shape or form. It's so, so sweet to watch them interact :)



About the only time there's ever dissension when it comes to baby Ryan and his big brothers, it's over who gets to hold him :)


I'm thoroughly enjoying this short phase in time where they're all just getting along for the most part and no one is attacking anyone and everyone is mostly just getting along. We are just so proud of our little guys, and although I know there are extremely busy days ahead (next winter is going to be LONNNNNGGGGG, I have a feeling), we're loving this season of life right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment